Many people get infected and die from venomous snake bites. Snake bites are common, especially in rural areas.

But there is nothing to panic about snake bites. Non-poisonous snakes are more than poisonous snakes in our country. Venomous snakes like King Cobra, Gokhara, Chandraboda, Shankhchud, Green Pit Viper, Russell Viper, etc. are commonly seen.

But the most poisonous among them is Chandrabora. At one time this species of snake was thought to be extinct, but for the past decade, snake bites have been happening again. Especially those who work in the field, are in danger of being bitten by the Chandrabora snake.

Symptoms of snake bite
Common symptoms of non-venomous snake bites are pain, bruising, and scratching at the bite site.

But after a venomous snake bite, there is usually severe pain at the bite site. Also, there may be redness, swelling, bruising, bleeding, or blistering around the bite. Other symptoms are nausea, shortness of breath, weakness, a strange taste in the mouth, a burning sensation at the bite site, and convulsions.

Other symptoms of a venomous snake bite include salivation in the mouth, body sweating, rapid heartbeat, weak pulse, low blood pressure, and numbness around the face or limbs.

Some snakes also contain toxins that affect the brain and nerves.

What to do if bitten by a snake
The following steps should be taken in case of a snake bite:

1. Do not try to catch or trap the snake at first. This will create the possibility of repeated bites.

2. Do not cut the bite site or attempt to remove the venom.

3. Wash the bite site with soap and clean water.

4. Cover the bite site with a clean, dry cloth.

5. Do not tightly bandage the bite site to stop blood flow.

6. Do not drink caffeine or alcohol.

7. Do not take pain relievers, such as aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others), or naproxen sodium (Aleve). Taking these increase the risk of bleeding.

8. If the bite area becomes swollen, remove all rings and watches and if wearing tight clothing, change into comfortable clothing.

9. Photograph the snake from a safe distance if possible. Snake bite treatment helps when the snake is identified.

10. If you are bitten by a poisonous snake, you should go to the nearest medical center as soon as possible. Because the sooner antivenom can be started, the sooner irreversible damage from the venom can be stopped.

11. Make sure to rest and stay calm. Care should be taken that the patient does not move the affected limb.

12. Avoid traditional first aid methods, herbal medicines, and other unproven or unsafe first aid.

13. Do not try to suck by mouth.

Prevention of snake bites
It is best to avoid snake habitats to avoid the possibility of snake bites. However, if that is not possible, there are steps you can take to avoid snake bites.

1. Avoid areas where snakes may be present. If you see a snake, slowly move away from it and do not approach it. Leave the snake alone.

2. Wear thick leather boots when walking in tall grassy areas to prevent snake bites.

3. Carry a flashlight when walking out at night.

4. Call animal control immediately if you see a poisonous snake in your home.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copy link